How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you choose to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of people over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
This is extremely troubling. Because health issues like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. In fact, new studies come out every day showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in some instances even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be a really persuasive fact. But that cost can actually be reduced by up to 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a big impact on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It might also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to get into higher education and make a livable wage when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are numerous volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.